Tuesday, May 3, 2011

I (Still) Heart Books

It's no secret that I don't exactly embrace technology, and I absolutely adore books. However, I do believe the two worlds can collide, harmoniously. The video from Dorling Kindersley Books horrified me at first. I hate to think that we live in a world where people are so blatantly self-absorbed. But then, the words were read in opposite order and all appears well again. In reality, I think neither view is completely true: instead, most of the world's population meets somewhere in the middle. That's probably why ebooks are becoming so popular. People do like to read, but they are choosing to read using technology.

The video reminded me of a book I recently read. It's called "Super Sad True Love Story" by Gary Shteyngart. In envisions America's very near future, in which many people are illiterate, electronic devices track your every movement, your credit rating determines your likability, and books are smelly. The scary thing is it appears those things are coming true (iPhone tracking???). While it contains graphic language and sexual situations, I recommend it.

I have learned a lot about technology in this class, and I definitely believe it has a vital role in the classroom. But for the record, I have so far refused to accept any ereader. :)

1 comment:

  1. I'm a book lover, too, Jessica! And I'm happy to have found a balance between books and technology that works for me. I'll add "Super Sad True Love Story" to my summer reading list - thanks for the suggestion.

    I was pretty darn impressed with the video - both the content and the delivery! Very clever - especially considering it was nothing more than narrated text. No fancy graphics or special effects. And I totally did not see the twist coming - my jaw hit the floor when she started reading it backwards. My frustration with the original words quickly gave way to appreciation. Wow!

    I have come to look foward to reading your blog (and discussion board) postings this semester, Jessica, and I will sure miss them! You have a way with words that allows your passion for teaching and intelligence to shine through. Our entire class has benefited from your participation this semester - and I have no doubt of your success as a future teacher.

    ReplyDelete