The only standard I think she met is Basic Operations and Concepts. It appeared the students were able to clear the machines, input numbers, and identify what the machine's output meant. But her lesson plan of having the students simply enter numbers she provided amounts to data entry.
I don't believe the students were using the technology to their advantage. If I was the teacher, I would have had the students work in teams of two to collect dimensions of spaces in the school (library?) in order to find area. That way, the students would be meeting two more standards: Technology Communications Tools and Technology Research Tools. They could take it a step further and include finding the volume of objects as well, incorporating Technology Problem-Solving and Decision-Making Tools. Overall, I thought this teacher's class was a bit chaotic and missing the mark.
Each year when the Beloit Mindset List is released, I'm typically not wowed by anything. However, this year, with the note that most of today's freshmen never had to learn how to write cursive leaves me quite jealous. I have horrible handwriting; a mishmash of print and cursive. I think back to those nights in grade school when I would have to write, and rewrite, book reports because they were illegible, and can't help but feel like I missed out. But I am happy for my future students, who will no doubt be able to type their book reports on a computer. It makes them better writers, as they can edit, rewrite, and basically improve their writing, without having to use half an eraser, or start over.
Great job on your first blog, Jessica! I know that identifying standards is not a terribly exciting way to kick off the semester, but it is a skill that will help us later on.
ReplyDeleteI think that technology should not be used just for the sake of using it - and personally, I kind of felt like the instructor pushed the calculators onto the students a little early. They seemed to struggle with the concept and the technology. It's one of the reasons why I love teaching this class - we focus on the integration as much as the tools. As with any tool, technology has its place in the classroom. It can be a blessing or a curse...sometimes both in the same day!
I like to use these videos to showcase examples of using technology in the classroom. They aren't always 'this is how you should do it' videos. Like this one, there is certainly room for improvement. But honestly, I admire any teacher willing to be recorded! And the videos give me a chance to showcase integration strategies that I would have shown in an on-campus course. You did a great job describing how you might have led this lesson differently.
Keep up the good work!
P.S. I get a real kick out of reading the Mindest List each fall. And not just because it helps me relate to the incoming freshmen - but I think it also reminds me to point out some of the major milestones to them and how they impacted a particular generation. At least that's what I try to focus on instead of that feeling of being so old! (And I totally remember that feeling of utter joy when I got to high school and no longer had to write in cursive - which lasted only until I got a job teaching 3rd grade and writing in cursive was part of the curriculum. Sigh... )